Director of High School Youth Ministry
Purpose of Position:
To develop, expand, and nurture a ministry rooted in God’s Word for youth and families at Bethel, and to communicate and promote this ministry within the congregation and the Rochester community.
This position will serve and minister to the youth and families of Bethel Lutheran Church: a dynamic, mission driven ELCA congregation in Rochester, MN. This exciting and rewarding work will focus on high school youth; nurturing our youth and families in creative and innovative ways to experience God’s Word, and showing how God is using all of us to serve the world. This position will also provide leadership and supervision for volunteers.
The position reports to the Youth and Family Pastor, and works collaboratively with the Children’s, Youth, and Family (CYF) staff, Youth Ministry Team, and Christian Education Representative of the Church Council.
Bachelor’s/undergraduate college degree or minimum of 5 years of experience working with youth and families in a leadership role.
A strong desire and ability to:
- Work in a Christian environment with partners possessing a common vision and faith
- Connect and develop positive, dynamic relationships with youth and adults
- Utilize the most effective tools of communication with youth and families
- Commit to regularly hearing God’s Word and the preaching of it
- Teach the Scriptures in accordance with the Lutheran Confessions
- Continue to learn how the Law and Gospel function in scripture and in the lives of youth
- Help people discover their gifts and use these gifts in ministry
- Share your passion for Jesus’ promise of forgiveness and salvation with youth and adults
- Represent Bethel with honesty, integrity, biblical morality, and be able to maintain confidentiality
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Creative planning, direction, engagement of outreach, and sharing of the Gospel by:
- Developing worship and education (including HS youth group, Sunday morning education and 9th Grade Mentor Ministry)
- Building relationships with youth and supporting their families in faith formation
- Promoting fellowship with high energy and deep connections: retreats, camps, and regular events throughout the year
- Work with Pastoral Staff, CYF Staff, Support Staff, and volunteers in developing vision, activities, and curriculum
- Immerse youth in God’s Word for a life both in the Church and in the world
- Utilize diverse methods of communicating and connecting with youth and families of Bethel (social media, email, phone, home visits, visiting extra-curricular activities)
- Pray for the ministry, students, and their families
- Teach and integrate the Scriptures in engaging ways in small and large groups
- Establish and maintain a supportive working relationship with the Youth Ministry Team
- Work with the CYF and pastoral staff, and families to effectively transition youth from one area of ministry to next (children’s ministry–confirmation–HS ministry–young adult)
- Work with the CYF Staff to develop and carry out summer ministry and service opportunities including trips and at-home ministry
- Work with CYF Staff and Youth Ministry Team to develop and/or support fund-raising events
- Work with CYF Staff and Youth Ministry Team to develop a budget and organize financial reports
- Willingness to work varied shifts as determined by programming and youth needs
- Complete other duties as assigned
- Have fun!
To continue in the application process, we request that you provide the following information:
- Current resume
- Contact information for 3 professional references
- Brief answers to the following questions:
- Why are you interested in this position and what qualities would you bring that would be an enhancement for our youth and family ministry programs?
- How would you describe your working theology for youth ministry?
- Having looked at the job description for this position and the five goals for the Children, Youth and Family Ministry of Bethel (included in this application), what about your past experiences would lend itself to success at Bethel Lutheran Church?
Please email the above information to: Korilynp@gmail.com
Click below to download the files
Bethel Lutheran Church is seeking a well-qualified candidate responsible for the day-to-day operation of a broad variety of church functions. The Business Administrator reports to and works closely with the Executive Pastor. Areas of responsibility include, but are not limited to: finance and general bookkeeping, budget preparation, human resources and supervision of staff, technology, and strategic planning.
Desired Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Considerable knowledge and experience in financial management, fund accounting and bookkeeping practices
- Understanding of generally accepted accounting principles
- Experience using accounting software
- Ability to prepare and maintain accurate and complete financial reports
- Supervisory experience, including hiring, training and performance management
- Previous work experience in or knowledge of church operations advantageous
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills as well as strong problem solving and critical thinking skills
- Organized and detail-oriented, adaptable
- Team player
- Proficient in use of technology
- Business process improvement experience
Bachelor’s degree preferred. The Business Administrator should have business management/administrative/accounting and finance experience. Knowledge of the dynamics involved in a non-profit organization is helpful.
Application Deadline: Friday, April 21, 2017
To apply, please submit the following information:
- Current resume
- Contact information for three professional references
- Cover letter including brief answers to the following questions:
- Why are you interested in the Business Administrator position and what qualities would you bring to the role?
- What specific knowledge/experience do you possess that would help you succeed in this position?
Application materials may be emailed to: email@example.com, or sent via US Postal Service to: Pastor Norman Wahl, Bethel Lutheran Church, 810 Third Ave SE, Rochester, MN 55904.
Click below to download the file: